Monday, April 25, 2011

Simple rustic bread recipe!

I made my first few loaves of rustic bread recently and it has changed my world!  Never am I EVER going to buy bread again!  Well…that’s probably not true but it is so fun and so easy that I encourage you to give it a shot!

The recipe below offers 4 x 1 lb loaves and can remain refrigerated for up 7 days, feel free to double it or half it.

3 Cups Lukewarm Water
1 1/2 Tablespoons Yeast (I used instant yeast packets)
1 1/2 Tablespoons Salt
6 1/2 Unsifted Unbleached White Flour (I only had all purpose and that worked fine)

•Warm the water to about 100 F and add the yeast and salt and flour
Mix, but do not knead
Cover (I use a plate over a big bowl) and allow to rise for 2-5 hours (in high altitude 2 hours was perfect)
 •Refrigerate overnight

The next day...

•Uncover your bowl of dough and dust with flour
•Grab about a grapefruit size handful and tear or cut with a serrated knife
•Add more flour and fold back the sides to form a ball (most of the flour will fall off and that is ok)
•Set ball and allow to rise for 40 minutes
•20 minutes before you are ready to bake the bread preheat the oven with a pizza stone in it at 450 F (I used a cookie sheet!)
•Beneath the pizza stone place a broiler tray or roasting pan
•Once you are ready to bake, brush the top of the bread with water and cut two little slices in the top of the bread.  Slide the dough onto the pizza stone and add a cup of hot water to the pan beneath.
•Shut the oven door quickly, the added water to the pan beneath the stone will sizzle and steam which offers great crust results.

Cook for about 30-40 mins or until the crust is pretty and golden!

No comments:

Post a Comment