Thursday, February 25, 2010

Great book..."Farm City"

I'm coming into month three now on this crazy vegan adventure.  Still using the term "vegan" loosely because I'm sure that I have unknowingly eaten non-vegan things here and there.

It is so funny because to so many people this whole vegan thing is SO weird...except to Californians.  I am reading a book right now called "Farm City" (which is great and hillarious) and the author put it so perfectly. To put it into context the author was trying to eat only from her downtown Oakland backyard "farm" for a month.  She was at a bbq and describes the people at the party.

"The gluten-intolerant munched on ears of corn in the corner.  The vegans had their own grill set up with toasting tofu.  The raw-food vegans were sipping on freshly macheted green coconuts.  The pescatarians were shoving ceviche into their faces.  Defining ourselves by what we eat- that's what we do for fun around here."

This quote cracks me up because it is so true.  Californians are so progressive, weird, and great in that way!  I have been feeling so so great since trying this whole vegan thing, have cooked healthy dinners most nights, learned a ton about nutrition and about new vegetables and ways to cook them but really think that it makes it a lot easier living in this area.  Not saying that it can't be done successfully anywhere though!  Just be prepared to have people look at you like you have a third eye sometimes :)

2 comments:

  1. That is a great quote! Good luck with the vegan thing - too hard for me - I can't resist milk chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks! Vegan chocolate chips have been a life saver but the other day I was at Trader Joe's and could have sworn their mini chocolate chip cookies were calling my name...excited to read your blog btw!

    ReplyDelete