Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Homemade Yogurt

When I studied abroad in France my host mom would always make her own delicious, thick and creamy yogurt that we would eat for breakfast every morning with her homemade jams and chutneys.  It was so delicious and sour that it tasted best just plain.

I have been wanting to make my own yogurt for a while now and decided today was the big day.

Here is how it goes...

1) Heat 4 cups of farm fresh milk in a double broiler to 180 degrees.  I think the fattier the milk the better but that's just me :)  You will need a cooking thermometer for this.

2) Once milk reaches 180 degrees keep it at that temp for one minute and then cool to 115 degrees by removing it from heat.

3)  When cooled to 115 degrees add 1/2 cup of yogurt with live cultures.  Should be able to find easily at the health food store.

4)  Pour mixture into glass jars (Ball Mason jars are what I used)

5)  Now keep the mixture at 110 degrees for 4-6 hours.  Put jars in a (hot) water bath in your oven at the lowest temperature or just the oven light on depending on your oven.  (FYI:  This part is a pain and has convinced me to yet a yogurt machine that keeps the milk mixture at 110 degrees easily and effortlessly without having to sit in your house for 6 hours checking your yogurt every five mins.  yup, i did this.)  Once firm refrigerate to firm up a bit more.  Add yummy jam, honey, almond butter, etc. and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment