Friday, March 19, 2010

My new love...Yin Yoga

After coming home from a wonderful and crazy weekend with friends in Steamboat, I wanted to get to a yoga class but didn't have the energy to go to a fast-paced vinyasa class.  I was exhausted, sick, and run down so I decided to go to a yin class instead.  Typically, I like really physically challenging classes that make me sweaty and sore after (sounds sick when i put that in writing!), but after this last Yin class my perspective has TOTALLY changed!

Yin yoga, for you new yogis, is a more passive form of yoga where you hold poses for minutes at a time, stretching deep into your body's tissue.  It is the balance and compliment to yang (or more active) styles of yoga.  Yin classes are very meditative, where the instructor typically reads passages, comes by and massages the students, and plays very calming music that puts you in a relaxed/trans-like state.  Most of the postures are practiced while you sit or lay on your back...not a down dog in sight!  It is heaven!  The hour and a half flew by and it felt as if I was in a semi-consious state the entire time while the postures massaged and nurtured my body.

I totally now understand how necessary this style is to compliment more active yoga styles, or active types of exercise.  Your moods, energy levels, and physical and mental needs constantly change and fluctuate, so it is great to alter your yoga practice accordingly.  After taking this class on Monday I felt rejuvenated and excited about this new addition to my practice.  I encourage everyone to add a yin practice to their lives, and its perfect for new yogis...a lot less intimidating then most styles and your body and mind will thank you for adding it to your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment