Friday, July 9, 2010

And the spirit of yoga spreads...

One of the many amazing things that I have been fortunate enough to do this summer while in Northern Wisconsin is to teach yoga classes to fellow staff members at the resort where I work.  We have been doing an hour and fifteen minute classes in a basement on Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays and in the short time since we have started there has been so many exciting and special moments in our little class.  

We started with three people...me and my two (very loyal and supportive!) friends.  We were all nervous...me having never really taught a full class, totally lacking confidence and unsure of myself.  My friends, inexperienced yogis...scared of the unknown and self conscious about being in this new, vulnerable environment.  Crammed into a little basement I worried how would I be able to help these new yogis fall in love with yoga without a serene and gloriously decorated yoga studio, no fancy schmancy mats and props, no incense wafting in the air just a modest little candle lit in the corner of the basement, no studio front full of racks of lululemon clothes and funky jewelry for sale...void of all of the things that wowed me when I first walked into my first yoga class!

But I was immediately reminded as we got began our first class that people don't fall in love with the superficial parts of yoga...they fall in love with the practice of yoga.  How after a class you feel as if nothing in the world would bother you, the sun looks a little bit brighter, the world looks a little bit more beautiful, there is a calming happiness inside that illuminates you from the inside out, and for a least a little while you are a better, more calm, more kind version of yourself. 

We have had several classes now and each time someone new joins the class.  We now have seven students really crammed into the basement.  Some students use towels instead of mats, sometimes we whack our neighbor when we come into warrior 2, but the feeling in our tiny studio is one of joy, community, and commitment.  It really has been amazing to see how fearless all of these new yogis have been.  Their open mindedness and willingness to step out of their comfort zones never ceases to amaze me.  They are all completely present and engaged...with such impressive focus and effort.  I love witnessing all of these new yoga addictions coming alive...talking excitedly after each class about the new pose they conquered and how they almost fell asleep in savasana!  It is a contagious excitement that teaches me to see yoga again as an excited beginner, falling in love all over again with my practice.

So in the middle of northern Wisconsin, in a little basement full of beach towels, makeshift yoga outfits, and music playing off of a laptop in the corner, the spirit of yoga spreads.  And for an hour and fifteen minutes every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday there is a group of seven people trying to become the best versions of themselves and the world exactly as its supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment